Fly Kites Not Drones 21st – 23rd March
In solidarity with people in Afghanistan at their new year there will be ‘fly kites not drones’ events happening around the country.
Friday March 21st
- Lincoln. RAF Waddington 1pm – 3pm on the A607 between Bracebridge Heath and the village of Waddington. NB Kites over 30 metres high can not be flown within 2 miles of an RAF base – so keep them shorter! We will also be in contact with young Afghan Peace Volunteers in Kabul through skype. contact Penny on 07414 465695
Saturday March 22nd
- Hastings. 10.30am on the West Hill, Hastings
- Cardiff. 2pm at Cardiff City Hall Lawn. ‘Fly Kites not Drones – solidarity with victims of drones’. Action called by Drone Network Cymru. Supported by Cardiff Stop the War and Cardiff Palestine Solidarity Campaign
- Leicester. Green Light Festival at Queens Building, De Montford University. Come to the CND stall with your kite at 12.30 and at 3.30 and we will go to Bede Park.
- London. 2pm venue tbc. A central London action led by VCNV and the feminist protest group ‘The Activettes’. Child friendly event
Sunday March 23rd
- Hastings. 10.30am West Hill, Hastings
- Coventry. Lady Herbert’s Gardens kite making 9am-11am while the half marathon is on followed by kite flying in the Gardens and Swanswell Park until 1pm
Drape the Drones in Aberporth September 21st
see poster with details here
London Event 27th February 2014
FREE THE SKIES, DRONE DOWN THE DRONES Come and add your voice to express grief and horror at the UK government’s involvement in drone warfare and murder of innocent civilians. Bring voices and instruments (no musical experience required as we’ll be sounding long single notes – ie droning). 12 – 2 Thursday February 27th. Meet St. James’s Park, London SE1 outside the cafe in the park (St James’s tube station). contact Camilla 07791 516275
Bristol Event 16th February 2014
16th February: Join Bristol Against Arms Trade for an interactive and hands on all-dayer of skill sharing, where you can learn all the tricks of the trade and meet some fellow campaigners in the process! Drones feature in the day with a talk by Corporate Watch about their recent fact-finding tour of Gaza interviewing the families of victims of Israeli drones and the effects that ‘drone seige’ has on the people. Drone Wars UK will present their their recent report on Israel and the Drone Wars. Planning local and regional ‘Fly Kites not Drones’ actions in support of Afghan victims of drone warfare on Saturday 22nd March, and joining the vigil at RAF Waddington 21st March with promotion of Global Days of Listening skype with peace activists in Kabul. A great opportunity to brainstorm ideas for future protests and keep the momentum going after the successful action blocking access to the DPRTE fair held at UWE which made Bristol’s stance on the arms trade very clear.At a central Bristol venue – Everyone welcome! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
Drone Watch Waddington 123
Throughout 2014 a group of us will be at the gates of RAF Waddington near Lincoln on the 21st of every month from 1pm until 3pm
We will be there because it is the control base for the British Reaper drone which is killing people in Afghanistan
When we can we will skype with the young Afghan peace volunteers in Kabul
Come and join us any time you can.
We will be at the main gate on the A607 which is down a track off to the left before your reach the village of Waddington, coming from Bracebridge Heath. The no. I bus to Grantham via Waddington leaves from near Lincoln train station at 12.35 and returns again at 14.58
For more information about this year long non violent drone watch contact Penny Walker from the Drone Campaign Network on 01163 199487 or 07414 465695 email email@example.com
Sat 5th – Sat 12th Oct 2013
The Drone Campaign Network’s Week of Action is part of International Keep Space for Peace Week. Here is a list of events so far - to let us know of an event not listed here please email us firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please consider organising an event in your area focusing on the use of drones.
Week of Action Details so far:
UK tour - by members of the Waddington 6, Brian Terrell and members of Voices for Creative Non Violence who have been to Afghanistan and seen the effects of drones on the Afghan people. They will also have the huge Fellowship of Reconciliation quilt – 13 metres by 2 metres made up of panels of people killed by drones in Pakistan.
Contact: email@example.com if you would like them to come to your area.
Friday 4th Oct:
- Hastings Public Meeting: ‘Ground the Drones’ with Brian Terrell: Hastings Against War, Venue: The Roomz, Western Road, St Leonards on Sea, (opp. Warrior Square train station) 6.30pm. Contact: Maya Evans 07973 484202
Saturday 5th Oct:
- RAF Croughton, Oxfordshire. Rally at U.S. satellite communication base, March to main gate 1 mile – starts Croughton village 12.00 midday, Returns 3:00 pm.
More details: Oxfordshire Peace Campaign, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunday 6th Oct:
- Lincoln, Support the ‘Waddington Six’ Pre-trial celebration. 5pm – 8pm Pimento Tea Rooms, Lincoln, LN2 1LU Contact Chris 07960 811437
- Cardigan, Benefit Concert Small World Theatre, Scene Red plus guests, 8pm
Monday 7th Oct:
- Birmingham. Public meeting “The Military use of Drones” at Queens College, 7.30pm with Brian Terrell.
More details: Drones Public Meeting Queens 7 October 2013.
- Lincoln Magistrates’ Court. Trial of the Waddington 6 begins. The 6 entered the RAF base in June and have been assured that their arguments will be listened to in full and they want to use the trial as an opportunity to get as much media coverage as possible for ‘Putting Drones on Trial’. They will be using the recently published paper by Public Interest Lawyers about the illegality of drones.
Tuesday 8th Oct:
- Liverpool. Liverpool Pax Christi protesting the University’s involvement in drone wars, Noon – 2pm
- Leicester. The Real Cost of Drone Warfare – with Maya Evans & Penny Walker, The Muslim Khatri Association Centre, 1 Connaught St Leicester LE2 1FJ. 7.30pm – 9pm
- Menwith Hill, North Yorkshire. Demonstration at NSA Spy Base focusing on drones in particular and US missile defense in general. 6-8 pm. Sponsored by CAAB.
More details: email@example.com or 01423 884076.
Wed 9th Oct:
- Coventry. The Real Cost of Drone Warfare – with Maya Evans & Penny Walker, Friends Meeting House, Hill St. Coventry CV1 4AN, 7.30pm – 9pm.
- York. York Against War: “The Menace of Drone Warfare” with Brian Terrell, 7.30pm Friends Meeting House
Thurs 10th Oct:
- Oxford Oxford Catholic Worker / Drone Wars UK ”The Menace of Drone Warfare” with Brian Terrell, 7.30pm Peace House, Paradise St, Oxford OX1 1lD
- Sunderland Public Meeting on Drones with Revd. Keith Hebden, The Yurt in the Minister. 6pm – 7.15pm
- Exeter: The Real Cost of Drone Warfare - with Maya Evans & Penny Walker, Exeter University Amnesty, Harrison Building, Exeter University, 6.30pm.
Friday 11th Oct:
- Shenstone: Vigil at UAV Engines, Lynn Lane, Shenstone,11am – Noon. Meet at Shenstone Railway Station car park prior to walking to the factory. Sponsored by FRIENDS of SABEEL and PAX CHRISTI, supported by the Queen’s Foundation for Ecumenical Theological Education. Contact: Andy ajmccosh [at] tiscali.co.uk
Sat 12th Oct:
- Lincoln: Protest vigil at RAF Waddington – organised by Liverpool Quakers
- London. Afghan Peace Conference, organised by Voices for Creative Non Violence. Friends Meeting House, Euston.