DANGEROUS SURVEILLANCE TUESDAY 5th AUGUST 7pm - 9pm Dangerous Surveillance :Drones, Data and Deprivation of Citizenship Includes a screening of Dirty Wars, a film by Jeremy Scahill Venue: Council Chamber, Camden Town Hall, Judd St, London WC1H 9JE (near Kings Cross tube/rail station)
SPEAKERS Kat Craig, Legal Director of the Abuses in Counter-Terrorism (ACT) team of Reprieve and Vice-Chair of Haldane Society Alastair Lyon, Solicitor, Birnberg Peirce & Partners Mohamed Ibrahim, Co-ordinator, London Somali Youth Forum Chaired by Les Levidow, CAMPACC
For information contact: Campaign Against Criminalising Communities (CAMPACC): Estella Schmid firstname.lastname@example.org tel. 020 7586 5892, www.campacc.org.uk <http://www.campacc.org.uk>
Drone Watch Waddington 123 on July 21st will focus on the grim reaper
The fields around the RAF base at Waddington will be almost ready to harvest by mid July but in Afghanistan the armed Reaper drone will be harvesting death not food. The British Reaper drone is based on the US Predator drone.Those sinister names describe well their sinister function. We welcome people to come and join us between 1pm and 3pm on the A607 five miles south of Lincoln. There are good public transport links. The no 1 bus to Grantham from Lincoln bus station – almost opposite the train station – stops right outside the base and leaves at every half hour at 5 minutes and 35 minutes past the hour. Please wear black if you can. For more information contact Penny on 07414 465695
Mary Dobbing speaking in Bristol June 30th No to NATO
for more details see the flyer No-to-NATO-Public-Meeting 30th June Bristol
Drone Watch Waddington 123 on June 21st will be Faith Watch Waddington.
see details of how to get there below
Drone Watch Waddington 123 on April 21st
Join us at the RAF base at Waddington near Lincoln from 1pm – 3pm on Monday 21st April. Because this is Easter Monday you may want to wear an Easter Bonnet – as bold and imaginative as you like! The RAF base is on the A607 between Bracebridge Heath and Waddington and even though it is a bank holiday the no. 1 bus to Grantham is still running – it leaves the bus station at 12.45 and returns at 15.04. The bus station is just opposite the train station – a bit to the right – and the bus stops right near the base. For more information contact Penny on 07414 465695
Fly Kites Not Drones 21st – 23rd March
In solidarity with people in Afghanistan at their new year there will be ‘fly kites not drones’ events happening around the country.
Saturday 15th March Bristol 11am-3pm kite and banner making workshop at Kebele including famous Kebele breakfast! kebele is at 14 Robertson Road, Easton, Bristol BS5 6JY Bring materials for kites and banners. contact email@example.com
Tuesday 18th March
Hastings 7.30pm kite building workshop at the Friends Meeting House, South Terrace, Hastings TN34 1SA see http://www.hastingsagainstwar.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org tel 01424 433230 or 07895830125
Friday 21st March
a.Tavistock. 11am -1pm Fly Kites not Drones stall in Bedford Square, organised by Tavistock Peace Action Group
b. Lincoln 1pm-3pm at RAF Waddington on the A607 between Bracebridge Heath and Waddington Village. We will also be in contact with young Afghan peace volunteers in Kabul through skype as we fly our kites. Please bring kites with you. The no.1 bus to Grantham leaves the High Street close to the train station at 12.35 and returns again at 14.58. There is a bus stop next to where we will be. contact Penny on 07414 465695 There will be groups coming from many places including Sheffield, Norwich and Bristol. The Bristol group explains ” we will be leaving Bristol at 08:30hrs and returning about 19:00hrs. Contact email@example.com by 6:00pm 16th March to express an interest – a suitable vehicle will be hired for the journey and the costs shared. Let us know if you have a vehicle we can use and/or if you can share driving.”
Saturday 22nd March
a. Hastings 10.30am on the West Hill, Hastings by the cafe – bring a kite and have fun. (see above for Hastings contacts)
b. Bristol 12-2pm Castle Park . There’ll be kites to fly, a children’s area to make kites and messages for children in Afghanistan, learn about Britain’s armed drones being used in Afghanistan and the effects on children, plus music and fire eating entertainment! contact firstname.lastname@example.org
c. Leicester 12.30 and 3.30 Green Light Festival at Queens Building, De Montford University. Come to the CND stall with your kite at 12.30 and at 3.30 and we will go to Bede Park. contact Penny on 07414 465695
d. Edinburgh 1pm-4pm The Meadows next to the Pavilion cafe – kite making and flying, juggling, facepainting, dancing, Afghan clothes stall and much more see the
website for more details
e. London 2pm Speakers Corner Hyde Park. Led by VCNV and the feminist protest group ‘The Activettes’ this is a child friendly event. Bring a kite!
f. Cardiff. 2pm at Cardiff City Hall Lawn. ‘Fly Kites not Drones – solidarity with victims of drones’. Action called by Drone Network Cymru. Supported by Cardiff Stop the War and Cardiff Palestine Solidarity Campaign
g. Oxford 2pm-4pm in Bonn Square. Bring a kite!
Sunday 23rd March
a. Coventry 9am – 11am Lady Herbert’s Gardens kite making while the half marathon is on followed by kite flying in the Gardens and Swanswell Park until 1pm . contact Penny on 07414 465695
b. Hastings 10.30am on West Hill by the cafe – bring a kite and have fun (see above for Hastings contact)
c.Brighton 2pm on The Level, Brighton. Bring kites and musical instruments. We’ll be giving out cakes, playing music and chatting to the public. Child- friendly event organised by Smash EDO
d.Blackheath, London 2.30pm on Blackheath SE3 where people are flying kites! bring a kite. Organised by WILPF, Stop the War and Blackheath and Greenwich UNA tel 0208 858 8489 for more info. Flyer here
And there will also be kite flying in other parts of the world including North America, Sweden and of course Afghanistan.
Here is the Spring Days of Drone Action update in the US, including news about Medea Benjamin’s violent treatment as she attempted to go to Gaza on a solidarity mission
London event 24th March
7pm -9pm at Friends House, 173-177 Euston Road NW1 2BJ Resist Drone Wars, the impact of drone attacks on Gaza public meeting and discussion, Drone attacks caused the most deaths in the Israeli attack against Gaza in 2012. Come and hear the stories of those at the receiving end of drone technology, taken from Corporate Watch’s recent visit to Gaza. Find out how to make sure that Israeli drone makers don’t profit any further from bloodshed in Gaza. Mary Dobbing will talk about Drone Wars UK’s newly published research into Israeli production, use and proliferation of drones. Plus practical planning about how we can resist the drone wars from here in London, led by London Palestine Action. download flyer here
Drape the Drones in Aberporth September 21st
see poster with details here
London Event 27th February 2014
FREE THE SKIES, DRONE DOWN THE DRONES Come and add your voice to express grief and horror at the UK government’s involvement in drone warfare and murder of innocent civilians. Bring voices and instruments (no musical experience required as we’ll be sounding long single notes – ie droning). 12 – 2 Thursday February 27th. Meet St. James’s Park, London SE1 outside the cafe in the park (St James’s tube station). contact Camilla 07791 516275
Bristol Event 16th February 2014
16th February: Join Bristol Against Arms Trade for an interactive and hands on all-dayer of skill sharing, where you can learn all the tricks of the trade and meet some fellow campaigners in the process! Drones feature in the day with a talk by Corporate Watch about their recent fact-finding tour of Gaza interviewing the families of victims of Israeli drones and the effects that ‘drone seige’ has on the people. Drone Wars UK will present their their recent report on Israel and the Drone Wars. Planning local and regional ‘Fly Kites not Drones’ actions in support of Afghan victims of drone warfare on Saturday 22nd March, and joining the vigil at RAF Waddington 21st March with promotion of Global Days of Listening skype with peace activists in Kabul. A great opportunity to brainstorm ideas for future protests and keep the momentum going after the successful action blocking access to the DPRTE fair held at UWE which made Bristol’s stance on the arms trade very clear.At a central Bristol venue – Everyone welcome! Email email@example.com to find out more.
Drone Watch Waddington 123
Throughout 2014 a group of us will be at the gates of RAF Waddington near Lincoln on the 21st of every month from 1pm until 3pm
We will be there because it is the control base for the British Reaper drone which is killing people in Afghanistan
When we can we will skype with the young Afghan peace volunteers in Kabul
Come and join us any time you can.
We will be at the main gate on the A607 which is down a track off to the left before your reach the village of Waddington, coming from Bracebridge Heath. The no. I bus to Grantham via Waddington leaves from near Lincoln train station at 12.35 and returns again at 14.58
For more information about this year long non violent drone watch contact Penny Walker from the Drone Campaign Network on 01163 199487 or 07414 465695 email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sat 5th – Sat 12th Oct 2013
The Drone Campaign Network’s Week of Action is part of International Keep Space for Peace Week. Here is a list of events so far – to let us know of an event not listed here please email us email@example.com.
Please consider organising an event in your area focusing on the use of drones.
Week of Action Details so far:
UK tour – by members of the Waddington 6, Brian Terrell and members of Voices for Creative Non Violence who have been to Afghanistan and seen the effects of drones on the Afghan people. They will also have the huge Fellowship of Reconciliation quilt – 13 metres by 2 metres made up of panels of people killed by drones in Pakistan.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like them to come to your area.
Friday 4th Oct:
- Hastings Public Meeting: ‘Ground the Drones’ with Brian Terrell: Hastings Against War, Venue: The Roomz, Western Road, St Leonards on Sea, (opp. Warrior Square train station) 6.30pm. Contact: Maya Evans 07973 484202
Saturday 5th Oct:
- RAF Croughton, Oxfordshire. Rally at U.S. satellite communication base, March to main gate 1 mile – starts Croughton village 12.00 midday, Returns 3:00 pm.
More details: Oxfordshire Peace Campaign, email@example.com
Sunday 6th Oct:
- Lincoln, Support the ‘Waddington Six’ Pre-trial celebration. 5pm – 8pm Pimento Tea Rooms, Lincoln, LN2 1LU Contact Chris 07960 811437
- Cardigan, Benefit Concert Small World Theatre, Scene Red plus guests, 8pm
Monday 7th Oct:
- Birmingham. Public meeting “The Military use of Drones” at Queens College, 7.30pm with Brian Terrell.
More details: Drones Public Meeting Queens 7 October 2013.
- Lincoln Magistrates’ Court. Trial of the Waddington 6 begins. The 6 entered the RAF base in June and have been assured that their arguments will be listened to in full and they want to use the trial as an opportunity to get as much media coverage as possible for ‘Putting Drones on Trial’. They will be using the recently published paper by Public Interest Lawyers about the illegality of drones.
Tuesday 8th Oct:
- Liverpool. Liverpool Pax Christi protesting the University’s involvement in drone wars, Noon – 2pm
- Leicester. The Real Cost of Drone Warfare – with Maya Evans & Penny Walker, The Muslim Khatri Association Centre, 1 Connaught St Leicester LE2 1FJ. 7.30pm – 9pm
- Menwith Hill, North Yorkshire. Demonstration at NSA Spy Base focusing on drones in particular and US missile defense in general. 6-8 pm. Sponsored by CAAB.
More details: firstname.lastname@example.org or 01423 884076.
Wed 9th Oct:
- Coventry. The Real Cost of Drone Warfare – with Maya Evans & Penny Walker, Friends Meeting House, Hill St. Coventry CV1 4AN, 7.30pm – 9pm.
- York. York Against War: “The Menace of Drone Warfare” with Brian Terrell, 7.30pm Friends Meeting House
Thurs 10th Oct:
- Oxford Oxford Catholic Worker / Drone Wars UK “The Menace of Drone Warfare” with Brian Terrell, 7.30pm Peace House, Paradise St, Oxford OX1 1lD
- Sunderland Public Meeting on Drones with Revd. Keith Hebden, The Yurt in the Minister. 6pm – 7.15pm
- Exeter: The Real Cost of Drone Warfare - with Maya Evans & Penny Walker, Exeter University Amnesty, Harrison Building, Exeter University, 6.30pm.
Friday 11th Oct:
- Shenstone: Vigil at UAV Engines, Lynn Lane, Shenstone,11am – Noon. Meet at Shenstone Railway Station car park prior to walking to the factory. Sponsored by FRIENDS of SABEEL and PAX CHRISTI, supported by the Queen’s Foundation for Ecumenical Theological Education. Contact: Andy ajmccosh [at] tiscali.co.uk
Sat 12th Oct:
- Lincoln: Protest vigil at RAF Waddington – organised by Liverpool Quakers
- London. Afghan Peace Conference, organised by Voices for Creative Non Violence. Friends Meeting House, Euston.